On Saturday night the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison welcome the Milton Keynes Thunder for their second visit to the arena this season.

Here’s all the information you’ll need to know:

Doors Open: 5:30pm
Face-off: 6:30pm

Ticket prices:
Adults - £12.50
Concessions - £9.00 (Senior Citizen & Disabled)
Children - £6.00 (aged 3 – 15...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
8th of January 2018

Weekend Review - Two wins out of two in the Cup and League

The Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison were back on home ice to take on the Telford Tigers for their final National Cup game of the season.

Basingstoke Bison 5 Telford Tigers 3

Blaine Evans wore the armbands with Justin Lalonde and Flynn Sytch-Cunningham on the lines.

Early chances were created by both teams, first Aaron Connolly shot only to see Dennis Bell deflect the puck into the roof, then a pad save from Dean Skinns met a shot from Ricky Plant. Paul Petts beat the Tigers netminder but his shot was just wide of the post. Next up was Tomas Karpov, Vanya Antonov and Ryan Sutton in combination but Dennis Bell was equal to the Sutton shot.

At 6.07 Tigers scored their first as Jason Silverthorn and Ricky Plant combined to find Adam Jones who finished 5 hole for 0-1. Things looked even better for the visitors at 9.16 when Ricky Plant tapped home at the back door from Ben Nethersall for 0-2.

At 12.22 Tigers gave away the game’s first powerplay when Dale White was called for slashing but sadly the powerplay didn’t click and White duly returned at 14.22 with no damage done to the Tigers’ lead.

Dean Skinns took a shot to the mask as Jack Watkins let fly but after a moment he was up and ready to continue. Play moved to the other end where Ryan Sutton fed out in front but Grant Rounding failed to connect.

Tigers were worth their 2 goal lead as the hooter sounded to end the first period.

Bison enjoyed a much sharper start to the second period. Aaron Connolly fought through the defence only to see his shot deflect away. Dean Skinns was alert to the danger as Scott McKenzie slid the puck across to Jack Watkins who found Skinns already hugging the post. Paul Petts drove to the scoring area only to find his centre feed had nobody waiting for it.

A feed back from Paul Petts to Grant Rounding evaded the forward but made it’s way back to Dan Scott who stepped up and rifled the puck into the back of the net at lightning pace at 25.05 to reduce the deficit to a single goal.

Bison intensity had upped massively since the start of the second period and they were unlucky not to get a powerplay chance when Roman Malinik was held back by a hook motion. Soon after Vanya Antonov was set off by Dan Davies but found the post denied him the equalising goal.

Progress was interrupted briefly by a badly timed line change but Dan Scott chased back Jason Silverthorn dispossessing him of the puck.

Tigers took their second penalty at 33.24 when Jordan Stokes was called for interference in an attempt to break up a Bison play inside the Tigers blueline. Again though the visitors killed off the powerplay.

Roman Malinik fired through traffic but a well timed pad extension by Bell proved he saw the shot coming. It was Malinik who’d draw the next stop in play too when his power shot struck the Tigers netminder in the mask.

As the second period hooter sounded Tigers still held the lead but Bison were playing much better hockey and looked up for the fight back.

Following a slow start and a much improved second period the Bison came out racing in the third period and after an early move by Roman Malinik that ended with the net coming loose behind Bell.

It took only 91 seconds of the third period for Bison to level the game when Dan Davies bundled the puck home with an assist from Stuart Mogg.

After the net had been replaced again Jack Watkins found himself stood up by Joe Baird who’s outlet pass from Grant Rounding but Dennis Bell was well positioned and saw off the threat.

More good work from Roman Malinik saw him centre for Hallam Wilson but before he could try and finish the net was lose for a third time in the period.

With Bison pressuring hard the pressure took it’s toll on the Tigers and with 9.12 to play they took an icing infraction bench minor and 37 seconds into the advantage Dan Davies doubled his tally and put the Herd ahead. Dan Scott found Tomas Karpov who fed Dan Davies and he took a moment, looked and fired high over the glove for 3-2 at 51.25.

Roman Malinik and Stuart Mogg tested the Tigers net in quick succession but at 54.23 Scott McKenzie levelled up for the Tigers after contact with Dean Skinns the puck crossed the line and with no call made the goal was awarded.

With 4.30 left to play Bison’s game winning goal came from Stuart Mogg as a slightly wayward pass saw the defenceman hook in a backhand at full stretch which flew past Bell for 4-3. Just 72 seconds later Aaron Connolly seized a bobbling puck and scored with a backhand of his own.

There was drama in the final minute when Tigers got handed a powerplay through a Vanya Antonov delay of the game call when he moved an already dislodged net. Tigers took their time out at 59.05, the same time as the powerplay, but despite 55 seconds of 6 on 4 Bison closed out for a 5-3 win.

Basingstoke: Davies 2+0; Scott, Mogg 1+1; Connolly 1+0; Wilson, Petts, Malinik, Karpov, Antonov 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 18/3
Telford: Plant 1+2; Silverthorn 0+2; Jones, Mckenzie 1+0; Jesson 0+1. Net: Bell (40.00) 18/1 & Armstrong (19.05) 13/4 & Empty Net (0.55) 0/0

Period Scores: 0-2/1-0/4-1
Shots On Goal: 31-18
Penalty Minutes: 2-6
Referee: B Evans. Linesmen: J Lalonde & F Sytch-Cunningham

On Sunday the Herd travelled to Berkshire to take on the Bracknell Bees in a league fixture.

Bracknell Bees 2 Basingstoke Bison 3

The Bees would score first at 10.37 when Carl Thompson scored a powerplay goal but Roman Malinik equalled it up at 12.05 with a shorthanded strike while Joe Baird sat out an interference penalty.

With the first period ending tied the Bison opened the second period well with Grant Rounding scoring even handed at 21.30 and just on the far side of the half way mark Roman Malinik netted his second, this one the game winner, at 32.08.

Callum Best gave the Bees some last gasp hope when he scored with 1.49 to go and Alex Mettam was hauled from the net for the final 53 seconds but to no avail as Bison earned both points.

Bracknell: Avery 0+2; C Thompson, Best 1+0. Galazzi, Bakrlik 0+1. Net: Mettam (59.07)26/3 & Empty Net (0.53) 0/0
Basingstoke: Malinik 2+0; Rounding 1+0; Connolly, Mogg, Karpov, Sutton, Baird 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 28/2

Period Scores: 1-1/0-2/1-0
Shots On Goal: 28-26
Penalty Minutes: 8-16
Referee: S Mattews. Linesmen: J Lalonde & F Sytch-Cunningham

Captain Aaron Connolly gave his thoughts on the weekend; “Some may think that the Telford Game was a “nothing game” but let’s be honest there is no such thing! Telford are the top team in the division and with a big league fixture on Sunday it was important that we put in a good performance and went into the Bracknell with a win.

We came out the blocks slow on Saturday in my opinion and the score line represented that after the first period, however the game was far but done. We came with an extra jump in the second and third and combined our hard work with smart decisions. A couple of goals by Dan Davies put us back in control of the game and with the final result being 5-3 I was more than pleased with our overall performance and the character shown to come back from 2 goals down.

As I said it was important to come into the Bracknell game with a good performance and confidence was high coming in. Credit to Bracknell as they brought it to us all night in what was a very close game, Sunday night was Roman’s turn to come up trumps with a big two goals.

Bracknell are a solid team struggling for results but Sunday was not their night and we stuck together and kept to the game plan coming out 3-2 winners on the night.

It was a huge weekend for us and a 4 point weekend was exactly what we need coming into a week off.

Head Coach Doug Sheppard added; "I just want to take a moment to congratulate Aaron on being selected as NIHL1 South Player of the Month for December. It's thoroughly deserved as he's been a true leader on and off the ice all season it's nice to see that recognised."