Tonight the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison commence there inaugural season in the newly formed National division of the NIHL with a weekend match up versus the Peterborough Phantoms in the annual “Billy Glover” Memorial Trophy.

Please could all supporters be in their seats early as we honour the life of Keith Hope prior to face off.

Here’s all the...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
29th of November 2018

GAME REPORT: Streatham v's Bison Sunday 26th November 2018

Final Score: Streatham 2 Trane Basingstoke Bison 4

By Nigel Simmons

Ref: Matthews
Lino’s: Olczak & O'Neill

MoM Streatham: Beesley
MoM Bison: Cooke

Streatham Stats: Carr 1+0, Wood 1+0, Roberts 0+1, Siagras 0+1, Warman 0+1, Webb 0+1.

Nets: King 33/4 (87.88%)

Bison Stats: Bordowski 1+1, Klejna 1+0, Sampford 1+0, Wilson 1+0, Cowley 0+2, Ingoldsby 0+1, Tait 0+1.

Nets: Mettam 22/2 (90.91%)

PIMs: Streatham 22 Bison 4

Mr Matthews dropped the puck on this game and from the off Bison were showing no signs of any 'bus legs' and almost took the lead, courtesy of Danny Ingoldsby. He managed to squeeze through the Streatham defence and got a backhand shot off, which slid through the crease and just past the post. Bison continued their attacks and George Norcliffe went close with a snap shot, but King gloved it.

Streatham weren't creating many chances and when they did get into our zone, the play was broken up.

Bison had a great chance when Russ Cowley's pass found Michal Klejna in, but with a shot at goal the best option, Klejna decided to drop the puck back and unfortunately, there were no Bison players following up. Leigh Jamieson was called for Tripping at 8.15 and Bison went on the Powerplay. Bison had a couple of chances, but Streatham killed the penalty.

However, Bison did take a deserved lead at 13.58, when Saturday nights hero Richard Bordowski, passed to Alex Sampford on the left and his momentum took him past a flat-footed D-man & he skated in and fired an unstoppable shot over Kings shoulder.

Both teams had a couple more chances, but neither nettie would be beaten. Streatham took another penalty late in the period, when James Warman took a Tripping call at 17.58. Bison couldn't convert any of their chances, so the period ended, Streatham 0 Bison 1.

The 2nd Period started and within a few seconds, Bison found themselves shorthanded. Tommy Ralph, who'd got away with a trip, but Matthews wouldn't let his Cross-check penalty go, timed at 20.38.

Streatham would only need 9 seconds to score. Good set up play from Roberts & Webb, allowed Adam Carr to slot home past Mettam. Streatham would score their second at 27.02, when Adam Wood slotted home through Mettam’s five-hole from an acute angle. Siagras & Warman collecting the assists on the goal.

At 33.34, Bison's Jay King was given a Delay of Game penalty, when he lifted the puck over the glass. That didn't seem to bother the Bison though, at 35.16 Richard Bordowski collected the puck from a Russ Cowley face-off win and he rifled a shot past King, for a short-handed goal, that sent the travelling Bison fans, again in good numbers, into raptures.

Streatham would again fall foul of Mr Matthews. Firstly, Ryan Webb got called for Hooking at 36.27 & before his period had expired, Adam Wood took a Holding call at 38.39. Bison couldn't take advantage and the period ended 2 apiece, with all to play for in the 3rd.

The 3rd period started with Bison on the Powerplay, with only 39 seconds remaining on the Wood penalty. But Streatham were back to full strength soon enough.

After a couple more good forays on the Streatham net, Bison got the go-ahead goal. Hallam Wilson picking up the puck on the right wing, he managed to elude the D-man and skate in and fired a wrister, low & hard between Kings pads. Goal was timed at 43.32, with Danny Ingoldsby picking up an assist.

With their noses just in front, Bison kept laying siege on the home teams net. Every time they came forward, they looked like they may score, but opportunity after opportunity went begging.

Leigh Jamieson picked up a Roughing call, timed at 44.55, when he manhandled Klejna to the floor behind the net. He argued the call with Matthews on his way to the box, but a WWE wrestler would've been proud of that throwdown.

Again, Bison tried different approaches to try and make the extra man count, but Damien King & his defence stood firm to kill off the penalty. Bison would get another chance at 50.31, when Alex Roberts was called for Interference, as he stopped Bordowski, on another charge up ice.

Once again, Streatham had their net under a constant barrage from the Bison powerplay units, but they held firm again.

Into the last 5 minutes of the game and it was really tense.

A break in play brought a coming together of the officials and after a short exchange, Mr Matthews gave Streatham's Adam Wood a 10min Misconduct and he was escorted off the ice. The play continued and it was really good, end to end hockey, with Streatham looking for the tying goal, whilst you felt if Bison scored, it would finally kill off the home side.

Well a minute later, we got our answer. A great link up play between Ashley Tait & Russ Cowley, set up Michal Klejna in front of net and he slotted the puck beneath King, to pretty much seal the points for the Bison. Time of the goal was 56.54. That goal brought a huge sigh of relief from the travelling Bison fans.

The last couple of minutes ran down and as much as Streatham tried to get a goal back, the Bison just kept breaking up the play and saw off any advances. The final buzzer went and Bison had earnt themselves a very welcome 4-point weekend. Can't imagine anyone would've predicted that, especially after the 2nd period on Saturday.

It was a great performance and a well-deserved win.