Slovakian overseas player Michal Klejna returns for a second season in the Herd uniform as exclusively revealed earlier today in the Basingstoke Gazette.

Klejna completes the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison overseas roster for the 2019 / 20 season and will once again ice alongside Richard Bordowski as our two overseas players.

31 year old, 6’1” tall Michal...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
13th of January 2019

GAME REPORT: Bison v's Bracknell Bees Saturday 12th January 2019

Final Score Trane Basingstoke Bison 6 Bracknell Bees 2 (SoG : 30 - 27)

By Nigel Simmonds

Ref: Matthews
Lino’s: Strain & Sitch-Cunningham

MoM Bison: Cowley
MoM Bees: Skinns

Bison Stats: Cowley 3+1, Klejna 1+1, Norcliffe 1+1, Smith 1+0, Bordowski 0+4, Sampford 0+2, Jones 0+1, Tait 0+1.

Nets: Mettam 27/2 (92.59%)

Bees Stats: Malinik 1+0, Z Milton 1+0, Antonov 0+1, Doughty 0+1, Sutton 0+1, VanKleef 0+1.

Nets: Skinns 30/6 (80.00%)

PiMs: Bison 8 Bees 12

Another much eagerly awaited fixture between the Bison & the visiting Bees. With the series tied at 1 win a piece, who would be victorious tonight?

As expected, it was a fast & frenetic start to the game, with both teams wanting to set their stalls out and get the upper hand in the game. Both netminders were tested early, but neither were real goal scoring opportunities. Bison had the best chance to open the scoring, when George Norcliffe was sent clear and he skated in, made a deke and tried to shoot the puck past Skinns, but Dean was equal to the chance and made the pad save.

At 11.22, Zach Milton was given a Hooking call. But the Bison powerplay unit couldn't make Bees pay and they returned to full strength. Soon after and another Bison chance. Alex Sampford with an individual effort, as he picked up the puck, skated in from the circle and let rip with a wrister. Skinns again made the save and the chance was missed.

Bison were playing some good hockey and finally at 14.19, they got the breakthrough. Sampford and Bordowski cycling the puck along boards, then Bordowski moved in and slotted a lovely pass to Russ Cowley, who managed to get enough of his stick on it and redirect the puck past Skinns for the opening goal. The home fans erupted!

A minute later and Scott Spearing was given a Tripping call at 15.35 and that sent out the Bison PP unit again. This time though, they would make the man advantage count......
Michael Klejna, finding Adam Jones on the point, he released his shot and with George Norcliffe standing in front of the Bees net, he managed to get a tip on the puck and it diverted the puck past Skinns, wrong footing him in the process for 2-nil. Powerplay Goal timed at 16.23.

Bees players weren't helping their own cause, by taking some dumb penalties at times. A good example, was their new import Tyler VanKleef taking a Charging call at 17.49. It was a late hit after the puck had clearly gone and gave ref Matthews an easy call. Bees managed to kill off this penalty and as we ended the period, the scoreline was a very healthy one. 2-0 in favour of the Bison and the home fans were very happy with what they had witnessed in that opening stanza. SoG were 7 on Mettam & 9 on Skinns.

Would imagine Bees must've got a talking too in the first break, as they came out flying in the 2nd period and were soon on the board. Ryan Sutton finding VanKleef and his shot was saved but Mettam, but the puck fell at the feet of youngster Zach Milton and he stuffed the puck over the line. Goal timed at 21.57. Just over 30 secs later and the game was tied. Antonov & Doughty combining well, before Malinik was found all alone in front and he rifled an unstoppable shot past Mettam. Wow, that certainly stunned the home fans and Bison alike.

Brendan Baird was next to visit the penalty box, when he was given a Roughing call at 23.29. Bees managed to kill off the penalty and returned to full strength. Then Bison collected their first penalty of the evening. Richard Bordowski given an Illegal Equipment penalty at 25.42. Not 100% sure what it was for, but I believe he failed to drop part of his stick, after it had broken.

Bison were successful in killing the penalty, but then were given another one, when Adam Harding was adjudged a Hooking call at 29.19.

Bees powerplay was back on it straight away, but unfortunately, they didn't take advantage. Instead it was the Bison that took the lead with a short-handed goal. With the puck being fought over in the corner, a couple of their guys got drawn into it. Bordowski came out with the puck and he spotted Cowley pulling away from the Bees defencemen. Russ skated up ice all alone and slotted the puck past Skinns. Goal timed at 29.46. That certainly awoke the Bison fans and we were now back in great voice.

That was heightened 5 mins later, when promising youngster Sam Smith, scored his first goal in a Bison uniform and boy, what a beauty it was!! Bordowski & Cowley cycled the puck behind the Bees net. Russ managed to get free and laid a pass to Smith on the point. He had time, he drew back his stick and lasered a wrist shot ....... a few seconds later, the net bulged and the home fans went wild. Sam's first reaction was like, "Did that go in?......", but he was soon mobbed by his teammates and that answered his question!! It was such a sweet strike though.

Now with Bison regaining their two-goal lead, it was a case of, could Bees come back again or would Bison go out for more goals or would they just shut up shop and hold out. I prefer the middle option & the latter, is always a bad thing to do.

That was all the excitement for the second period and at 40.00, the scoreline read, Bison 4 Bees 2. The SoG were as the 1st Period - 7 on Mettam & 9 on Skinns.

Which team would take the initiative at the beginning of the 3rd period? Would Bees come out all guns blazing again or would Bison, just play their game and take any opportunities that came along?

Well, that was soon answered, as Bison extended their lead, at 41.20. Bison Coach Ashley Tait wriggled free and managed to get his shot off, it hit a couple of Bees players in front of net and the puck also ricocheted off George Norcliffe as well, but it fell so kindly for Michal Klejna waiting at the back post to slot it home. Skinns was all at sea, not knowing where the puck was. His back was turned, when Klej finally popped the puck into the empty net.

Then on the next Bison attack there was a small bout of fisticuffs, when Klejna gave Skinns a little ice spray, which Stuart Mogg took exception too and grabbed Klejna as he was trying to get away. Hallam Wilson skated in and grabbed Mogg and a couple of punches were thrown. Both players receiving 2 mins each for Roughing. Penalties timed at 42.08. Mogg was soon joined by Ryan Sutton who was given a Hooking call at 43.40.

This gave Bison a 4-on-3 for 28 secs. Bison couldn't make the man advantage count and soon after, Bees returned to 4 men, whilst Bison returned to full strength. Bees would kill off the other penalty too.

At 46.29, the Bees were awarded a Penalty Shot, when Danny Ingoldsby was given a Tripping call on the play. After light deliberation, Tyler VanKleef stepped up to take it. He skated down the ice, deked a couple of times and tried to stuff it in on Mettam's stick side, but Alex followed him all the way and made the save, to the delight of the home fans.

At 50.12, Hallam took another penalty as he was given a Hooking call. Bison stood firm and killed off the penalty. Moving into the final 5 mins now, Cowley & Bison would cap off a brilliant evening, when the "Doctor" would get his hat-trick, when he finished superbly upstairs past Skinns, after being found beautifully by Bordowski. Goal timed at 55.26. Alex Sampford would also get credited with an assist.

Into the final 2 minutes now and all the Bison faithful were on their feet, to clap home their team, to an absolutely great result for the guys. With only one game this weekend, it was imperative that Bison got the "W" ........... Mission Accomplished!!