The Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison would like to thank the fans of the Herd for their continued great support of the ever popular Jersey "Own & Loan" scheme.

Out of the 75 jerseys available for the forthcoming season, we only have the following the jerseys available to own & loan:

Light Jersey

Bayley Harewood (P)
Sam Brooks...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
10th of March 2019

GAME REPORT: Bison V's Bracknell Bees Saturday 9th March 2019

Final Score: Trane Basingstoke Bison 4 Bracknell Bees 3 (After Pen Shots)

By Nigel Simmonds

Ref: Matthews
Lino’s: Cook & Strain

MoM Bison: Jones
MoM Bees: Knaggs

Bison Stats: Klejna 1+1, Harding 1+0, Ingoldsby 1+0, Jones 0+3, Tait 0+1.

Nets: Mettam 27/3 (88.89%)

Bees Stats: Martin 1+1, Smith 1+0, Vankleef 1+0, Thompson 0+2, Doughty 0+1, Z Milton 0+1, Mogg 0+1.

Nets: Skinns 21/4 (80.95%)

PiMs: Bison 42 Bees 20

The Trane sponsored Bison entertained the Bracknell Bees, in the first of a double header this weekend. With Bison leading 3-1in results, they only need one more "W" to take the series between the teams.

Bison started off quite well, with Ashley Tait setting up Michal Klejna in front of net, but Skinns made the pad save to deny Klej!

Then began a period of bad calls, poor discipline, call it want you want. Matthews calling Adam Jones for Interference at 6.27, which was a very soft call indeed. Before the penalty had ended, Tommy Ralph was given a 2 + 10 Boarding call, which he reacted to in the box. Matthews tapped his hips and another 10 Misconduct call meant, that was it for Tommy Ralph's evening. (2 x 10 minutes calls, result in a Game Penalty). So with Bison already missing D-men Chris Cooke & Elliott Dewey, this was the last thing we needed!!

Bison managed to kill off Jones first penalty, but a few seconds after he'd returned to the ice, Matthews called him for Cross-Checking, which it never was. Bees were handed another 2-man advantage and this time they would make it count. Doughty & Thompson combining to play in Josh Smith, who looked way offside when he received the puck, but he skated in, deked Mettam and slotted the puck home for an opening powerplay goal, timed at 9.38.

Bison returned to four skaters and then full strength soon after.

Then a "Hallelujah" moment, as Matthews finally decided to call Bees for a penalty. Knaggs called for Roughing at 12.20. Bison wouldn't make any inroads on the Bees net and they returned to full strength.

At the end of the first period, the scoreline read 1-0 In favour of the visitors.

The 2nd period started and Bison had to try and up their offensive attack, which was sadly lacking in the first 20 minutes, being outshot 13 to 6. But it would be Bees that scored again. Josh Martin firing a hopeful shot across goal, which hit Adam Jones stick, as he tried to intercept the pass, but unfortunately, it went through Mettam’s 5-hole. Milton & Mogg assisting, at 25.30.
It honestly wasn't looking good for the Bison. They appeared quite sluggish at times and just couldn't get any lucky bounces, unlike Bees.

Ed Knaggs got called again at 29.33, for Hooking. Could Bison make it count? Closest they went was when Adam Jones found George Norcliffe in space and he fired the puck, but Skinns closed the door and saved the shot.

Just as Knaggs penalty was expiring, Tyler Vancleef was called for High-Sticks (31.33), which appeared to draw blood on Sampford, but Matthews decided it clearly wasn't enough, to warrant a Major Penalty against Vankleef. Within a second of restart, Bees returned to four skaters.

Bison set about how to break the control of Skinns. A nice tic-tac-toe pass involving Jones & Tait, found Klejna by the side of the goal. He instantly passed the puck straight across the goalmouth and it appeared that Russ Cowley got a touch on it, as it trickled past Skinns in the Bees net. Klejna was awarded the powerplay goal, timed at 32.01.

Bees got penalised again at 34.45, when Mogg picked up a Tripping call. But Bees killed it off. But seconds after Mogg returned, Bison would level the scores. Jones & Klejna again combining and Adam Harding got off a shot, which Skinns saved, but Harding managed to lob the puck over Skinns on the follow up. Goal timed at 36.54.

Just over a minute later and Bison would incredibly take the lead and the roar from the pretty much sell-out crowd, would almost take off the roof of the arena. Adam Jones with his 3rd assist, set up Danny Ingoldsby who had time to pick his spot and fire a sweet wrister past Skinns. Goal timed at 37.58.

This was much better from the Bison, as they upped their intensity and took the game to the Bees. We entered the final minute and after a heavy hit on Tait by Vankleef went uncalled, Jay King took it upon himself to respond. He was called for Cross-Checking at 39.08.

The period ended and Bison had pulled it around from being 2 down, to lead 3-2 at the 2nd interval.

The 3rd Period started with Bees still 1.09 of PP time, but they couldn't find the net, so Bison returned to full strength. It appeared as though Bison were happy to try and sit on their one goal lead, but that's always a bad idea. At 48.21 a very errant pass by Ashley Tait, went straight to Vankleef and he snapped a shot that beat Mettam to his far side, to level the game. Martin & Thompson given assists.

Josh Kelly was next to pick up a penalty (51.44), when he crunched a Bees player into the boards. A Roughing call was given, but think he escaped lightly with that one....... thankfully! The Bison would kill the penalty successfully.

Going into the last 2 minutes of the game It was very much now S.B.T (Squeaky Bum Time), as both teams had opportunities to win it. The buzzer sounded to end the 3rd period and as it was all square at 3 apiece, we were going to Overtime.

Harding, Cowley & King started OT for Bison, with Spearing, Malinik & Mogg for Bees. Nothing much happened as both teams tried to set up chances with all that extra space out there. Klejna, Tait & Jones took over and Thompson, Vankleef & Knaggs made switch for Bees.

Overtime is usually over quickly or it drags out as both teams look for a breakdown in play, which usually causes an odd man rush. Still no nearer a winner as we entered the final minute, but a small flashpoint occurred. Josh Martin called for offside, but still shot the puck on Mettam. Adam Harding did not like that and stepped in. Scuffles broke out, but both players were given penalties that ended their evenings. Martin was given 2 mins for Unsportsmanlike & a 10 Min Misconduct and Harding was given 2 mins for Roughing & also a 10 Min Misconduct. Both penalties timed at 64.23. The OT period ran down and it was now down to a Shoot-Out to decide the game.

Losing Harding was a bigger loss for Bison, as Adam would probably would take one of the upcoming penalties in the shoot-out.

It would be Bison that would take the first shot. Up stepped Klejna and he skated down and beat Skinns to put Bison 1-0 up. Thompson was first for the Bees; his shot was saved by Mettam. Cowley was next up and his shot was saved by Skinns. Vankleef went next for Bees, his shot was saved. Tait could win it if he scores, but Skinns saves his shot. Now Smith had to score to carry on and he despatched the puck nicely.

All level after 3 shots each, into sudden death....... I'll just post the following as it went a few more rounds.......

Bees - Smith.......... MISS
Bison - Klejna........ MISS
Bees - Malinik........ SAVE
Bison - Cowley........ MISS
Bees - Vankleef....... GOAL
Bison - Tait........... GOAL
Bees - Vankleef....... MISS
Bison - Tait........... GOAL

Wow, what a shoot-out it was!! Great stuff from both teams.

But the final result was Bison 4 Bees 3, enabling the series victory and to keep 3rd spot from Bracknell.

We look forward to the return match in Bracknell tonight.