Final score: Basingstoke Bison 1-2 Sheffield Steeldogs (after Overtime)

Saturday 7th December 2019

Bison MOM: Sutton
Steeldogs MOM: Warburton

Bison stats: King 0+1, Petts 0+1, Sutton 1+0.

Netminder: Alex Mettam 28/2 (92.86%)

Steeldogs stats: Bell 0+1, Danecek 1+0, Graham 1+0, Luka 0+1, Morgan 0+1, Smith 0+1.

Netminder: Curtis...
24th of March 2019

GAME REPORT: Streatham v's Bison Saturday 23rd March 2019

Final Score: Streatham Redhawks 2 Trane Basingstoke Bison 5

By Nigel Simmonds

Ref: Hewitt
Lino’s: Carmichael & Kisil

MoM Streatham: Roberts
MoM Bison: Ingoldsby

Streatham Stats: Roberts 2+0, Carr 0+1, Farn 0+1, Jamieson 0+1.

Nets: King 38/5 (86.84%)

Bison Stats: Ingoldsby 2+0, Sampford 2+0, King 1+0, Cowley 0+2, Klejna 0+2, Bordowski 0+1, Tait 0+1.

Nets: Mettam 45/2 (95.56%)

PiMs: Streatham 40 Bison 78

The Bison travelled to South London to face a difficult Streatham Redhawks side, in the Britton Conference Q/Finals 1st Leg.

Although Bison won the league series between the teams 5-1, play-off hockey is completely different. You can throw the form book out the window. Bison still missing Elliott Dewey, also added D-man kingpin Adam Jones to the player scratches.

Mr Hewitt was on hand to drop the puck on this one. Bison found themselves short-handed after only 10 secs, as fill-in defenceman Liam Morris misjudged the plexi and fired the puck over it and earned himself a Delay of Game penalty. Thankfully, it didn't cost us and as soon as the penalty expired, Morris had a great scoring opportunity. He skated down the right wing, managed to cut inside and let a shot go. Although it beat King, the puck clanged off the bar and away to safety.

Bison would get the important first goal, when Michal Klejna skated into the zone and laid the puck off to Danny Ingoldsby, who let fly with an unstoppable wrister, into the top shelf past King (4.59).

At 8.21, there was a coming together around the crease of King. Hallam Wilson got a little too close for Streatham's players liking and he was Cross-Checked by Michael Farn. Alex Sampford stepped in and threw a punch at Farn. Then Adam Wood got involved and face-washed Hallam with his glove a couple of times. Hallam had mocked Wood a little, but when the penalties were announced, Farn, Wood & Sampford all sat for 2 mins, whilst Hallam was given a 10 Min Misconduct for Incitement (Excitement more like!)

Streatham killed off the extra minor and returned to full strength. However, a few seconds later and Bison doubled their lead. Bordowski and Cowley cycled the puck, before Russ found Danny, standing on the slot and he wristed another beauty top shelf (10.49).

Danny then went from hero to villain, as he got called for Tripping on Farn, but Farn was already on his way down, when Hewitt raised his arm. Poor call indeed.

Alex Mettam in the Bison net, was proving difficult to beat, as he turned away shot after shot, before Ingoldsby’s penalty expired. The final minute came and went and at the first interval, Bison were deservedly leading 2-0.

Streatham came out strong in the 2nd and it wasn't long before they halved the deficit (21.04). Farn set Jamieson free down the wing and he crossed the puck to the back post, where Alex Roberts got a good shot away, which at first, Alex Mettam appeared to have saved, but the puck popped out from under his body and trickled just over the line.

It was just the start Redhawks would've wanted. Thankfully, it wouldn't be too long before Bison replied and restored their two-goal lead. Jay King skating onto a loose puck from a Damien King save and he buried it with a great shot (23.49).

Alex Mettam then made a great point blank save to deny Roberts, but soon after, he would get another chance (27.26). The Bison defence failed to clear the puck from their zone and it fell kindly to Roberts, who unleashed a laser of a shot, which rippled the net behind Mettam. Adam Carr picking up an assist.

At 31.23, Adam Wood made his second visit to the sinbin, when he sat a minor penalty for Holding. Redhawks would kill off the penalty.

Danny Ingoldsby would get called again at 37.28. This time the offence would be a Holding call.

Bison would return to full strength though. Just as the 2nd period came to an end, there was be a big coming together at centre ice. Farn double handed slash Klejna, which Michal reacted too, but would get stopped in his tracks, as Adam Wood stepped in and threw Klej to the ice. Then other players became embroiled into the melee, involving Jay King and Tait. Both teams had to be broken up and escorted from the ice, just to calm things down and give Hewitt time to confer with his linesman and call the appropriate penalties.

All the players came out for the 3rd period and Hewitt was over at the penalty box, handing out the penalties. Adam Wood would be sent from the ice, with a 2 min Roughing call, a 2 + 2 Fighting call and a Game penalty for Resisting an Official. He, shockingly, would be the only Streatham player penalised. Whilst for Bison, Jay King was sent back to the changing room, for a Game penalty for 3rd Man In and then astonishingly, Bison Player/Coach Ash Tait followed Jay back to the room, as he was given a also received 2+2 for Fighting and a Game for Resisting an Official, Michal Klejna was also given a 10 Min Misconduct penalty too. I honestly don't know what game Hewitt was watching, but it wasn't this one!!

The outcome, was that Bison would end up with a 2 min Powerplay. Just as they returned to full strength, Thomas "Ziggy" Beesley got called for Tripping (42.01).

Adam Harding copied Liam Morris from the 1st Period, when his shot beat King, but he'd also see his shot ping off the bar. Redhawks would kill the penalty and again try to set about reducing the deficit in the scoreline. Bison's Chris Cooke would be called for Slashing (47.24) but it would be killed successfully.

Then, at 50.03, Liam Morris again misjudged the height of the plexi and fired the puck over the glass.

Streatham couldn't make the extra man count and Bison returned to full strength. With time moving on and still only one goal between the teams, it was going to be a tense 8 minutes. Bison although short of playing staff, due to the dismissed players, still kept coming forward to create chances.

At 52.55, Alex Sampford picked up the puck, skated out to the side of the goal and fired the puck from an acute angle, which somehow managed to elude King and slid just over the line. That was just what Bison needed to relieve the pressure.

At 54.06, ex-Bison player Jacob Ranson picked up a Tripping call. Bison would make it count and that man, Alex Sampford would finish a move involving Klejna and Cowley to score a powerplay goal (54.33).

This gave Bison a worthy 3 goal advantage.

At 56.35, another little flashpoint occurred. Michael Farn went in high with his stick on Sampford's head. Alex took exception and reacted by throwing a couple of punches, then in steps Roberts to confront Sampford and he throws a couple of punches too. The penalties were announced as Farn 2 mins for Elbows, Roberts 2 mins Roughing and unbelievably, Sampford got 2 mins for Cross Checking.

The final 2 minutes ran down and the Final Score read 5-2 to the Bison. It was a really good result and a nice lead to take into the 2nd Leg in Basingstoke.