The Trane Basingstoke Bison are saddened to have learned of the passing of Gavin Tait, father of our Head Coach Ashley Tait.

Gavin was well known in the hockey world having followed both Ashley’s and his brother Warren’s careers.

All of us at the Bison send our sincere condolences to Ashley, Warren, his sister Joanne and all the family and their...
21st of October 2019

GAME REPORT: Bison V's Bracknell Bees Sunday 20th October 2019

Bracknell Bees 2 Trane Basingstoke Bison 9

Refs : Belfitt & Sevruk
Lino's :O'Neill & Sitch-Cunningham

MoM Bees : Vanya Antonov
MoM Bison : Ryan Sutton

Bees Stats : Antonov 2+0, Z Milton 0+1, Mogg 0+1.

Nets : Goss 25/6 (76.00%) 31.06
D Milton 11/3 (72.73%) 28.54

Bison Stats : Klejna 4+1, Sutton 3+1, Morris 1+0, Sampford 1+0, Jones 0+3, Tait 0+3, Norcliffe 0+2, Petts 0+2, King 0+1, Stone 0+1, Wilson 0+1.

Nets : Mettam 34/2 (94.12%)

PiMs Bees 26 Bison 12

After Saturday evenings poor display (I know a points a point, but it should've been 2 !) against a very understaffed Hull Pirates, your Trane Basingstoke Bison made the short trip down the M3, to face local rivals the Bracknell Bees. Bison having already beaten the Bees 4-2, a few weeks back in Bisonland. I would imagine the guys, with Ashley Tait's voice still ringing in their ears, needed a much-needed response. Bison welcomed two-way signing, Slough's Sam Talbot into the line-up, for the first time this season.

The puck dropped and we were under way. Within a minute, the Bison got the best possible start, when our Slovak import Michal Klejna scored (0.49), poking the puck home after a goal mouth scramble. Tait & Petts getting the assists. The Bison fans, who travelled in big numbers, (assisted by "Bavy's" mobile disco & the numerous drummers) celebrated the early goal.

At 11.21, Bees Harvey Stead, picked up an Interference call. Bison went on the PP and looked for another goal. Ryan Sutton, playing his first game back in Bracknell, since his move back to Basingstoke, duly obliged. Again, after a scrappy scramble around the net, the puck fell to Sutton, who despatched it past Adam Goss to light the lamp at 12.48, assists from Norcliffe & Jones.

A few moments later (16.12), Bees Vanya Antonov was given a Hooking call. Bison went back on the powerplay. A few seconds in and a broken play by Bees allowed Sutton to pick up the puck, skate into the Bees zone and left rip with a laser of a wrister, which flew over Goss's blocker and nestled in the top left-hand corner of the net. What a finish ! Goal was timed at 16.51, with Norcliffe & Jones again getting the helpers. The Bison fans, already in great voice, turned up the volume to 11, after that strike.

We entered the final minute of the period and as the clock ran down, Bees picked up a penalty on the buzzer. William Stead with an Interference call.

What a great first period and it was definitely needed. Scoreline reads Bees 0 Bison 3.

Into the 2nd period and with Bison already on the powerplay, Bees Vanny Antonov gifted Bison a 5-on-3 chance, when his bizarre clearance sailed out of play for a Delay of Game penalty, timed at 20.12. However, like the previous evening, Bison wasted a great opportunity to punish their opponents, with the 2-man advantage and Bees killed off both penalties and returned to full strength. Then it was Bison turn to pick up a penalty. Paul Petts with a Hooking call at 24.05. However, Bison & Klejna had other ideas and they scored shorthanded at 24.50. Jay King setting Klejna free down the wing. Klej skated in and fired an unstoppable shot past Goss for the shorty.

With Bison still celebrating their 4th goal, Bees finally got on the board. After another goal mouth scramble, Antonov poked home the loose puck at the second attempt, for a powerplay goal (25.18), with Josh Smith & Stuart Mogg assisting.

At 28.39, Bison would strike again. Michal Klejna completing his hat-trick. Ashley Tait firing in the puck, Goss saved, but the puck pops out and Klejna is on hand to steer the puck into the Bees net, whilst being brought down to the ice.

Josh Smith picked up a Hooking call at 29.28 and the Bison PP unit was back out again. A few quick neat passes around the net with Jones finding Tait, then Ash finding Klejna all alone at the back post and Klej despatched past Goss for his 4th of the night, and Bison's 6th. Goal timed at 31.06. This caused Bees to make the switch in net, with Danny Milton replacing the shell-shocked Adam Goss.

Bison's Adam Harding picked up a Slashing call at 31.19, but Bison saw it off successfully and returned to full strength. Then, William Stead was called for a pretty naughty Hit to the Head penalty, when he caught Paul Petts high. Thankfully, Petts managed to skate back to the bench OK. Bison were then awarded a Bench Minor penalty for Too Many Men (35.33). Although they contested the call, it would still stand. That was all the action for the period and at the 2nd interval, the Bison led the Bees 6-1.

Into the 3rd period we go and again Bison didn't take long to score. A move involving Paul Petts & Ollie Stone, setting up Alex Sampford, to fire home from close range, after he'd just skated in from a line change. Perfect start to the period for the guys.

It would get a whole lot better, when Hallam Wilson pass found Ryan Sutton and his defence splitting pass found an all alone Liam Morris to skate in and fire the puck past Milton to finally open his account this season. I'm pretty sure I saw Liam's celebration, with him grabbing an imaginary monkey and pulling it off his back. Great celly, if it was.

A couple of minutes past and Bees Aiden Doughty was next to make a trip to the penalty box, for Elbows, at 45.47. The Bison were on the powerplay again and like before they punished the Bees with the man advantage. The two standout guys on the night, Klejna & Sutton combined with Klej finding Sutts with a beautiful pass and Ryan buried the puck, to complete a very deserved hat-trick. You could tell he enjoyed it anyway. Goal timed at 46.42. Bees netminder Danny Milton wasn't impressed and picked himself up an Abuse of Official call at the same time. Antonov the player selected to sit the penalty in Milton's absence. But Bees would kill the penalty.

With the scoreline now reading 9-1 in Bison's favour, there were murmurings of "We want 10", coming from the massive travelling Bison fans. Unfortunately, we wouldn't get our wish.

At 49.23, Tommy Ralph was given a Hooking call, which Bees would score from. Zach Milton setting up Vanny Antonov and he somehow managed to squeeze the puck behind Mettam from such an acute angle.
Bison's Paul Petts would pick up a Cross Check penalty at 55.02, but it was killed successfully.

We entered the final 2 minutes and I for one, like many Bison fans, probably didn't want the game to end. It's always nice to beat a fierce rival, especially on their own ice in front of their own fans. There was however still time for another Bison penalty. Liam Morris getting called for Kneeing, at 58.30.

The final seconds ran down and the buzzer sounded. 9-2 Final Scoreline.

It was an absolute clinical performance and very much needed, because it also broke our run of road losses. Maybe, Green isn't so bad after all........!!

3 points from 4 over the weekend is still a good return, although I know Ash, Tony & the guys would've wanted the full 4pts.

Bison only have the one game next weekend, a Home game against Swindon Wildcats. Should be a good game hopefully.

New boy Matt Church will be assessing all the action & you can read all about it, in his post-match report.. See you all next weekend !!