As exclusively revealed this morning in the Basingstoke Gazette, the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison are pleased to announce the return of British forward Sam Talbot for the 2020/21 season.

Having originally signed for the Herd last season on a 2-way contract while playing for the Slough Jets in NIHL 1, Talbot joined the Bison full time in January this year. In...
4th of November 2019

GAME REPORT: Peterborough Phantoms V's Bison Sunday 4th November 2019

Final Score: Peterborough Phantoms 3 Trane Basingstoke Bison 5

MoM Phantoms : J Ferrara - Bison : S Talbot

Phantoms Stats : J Ferrara 2+0, Stepanak 1+0, Billing 0+2, Bowering 0+1, Padelek 0+1, Susters 0+1.

Nets : Marr 19/4 (78.95%)

Bison Stats : Sampford 1+1, Harewood 1+0, Jones 1+0, Norcliffe 1+0, Tait 1+0, Malinsky 0+2, Talbot 0+2, Harding 0+1, King 0+1.

Nets : Weller-Evans 48/5 (93.75%)

PiMs Phantoms 10 - Bison 12
SOG: Phantoms 19 Bison 48

Refs : Good & Stephenson
Lino's : Earl & Kowal

After a very lacklustre display on Saturday evening versus MK Lightning, which did eventually end in an overtime victory for your Bison, the team travelled to Cambridgeshire to face the Peterborough Phantoms on Sunday. The games between the two teams always have an edge, so, as a supporter, it's usually a pretty good watch.

Bison already missing imports Bordowski & Klejna, were even more short-staffed, when Wilson, Ralph, Evans and Smith were announced as not icing. New signing Marek Malinsky and the impressive 2-way signing Sam Talbot, bolstered the line-up a little with Liam Morris slotting back into defence. Following his MoM performance the previous evening, Dan Weller-Evans was given the nod ahead of Alex Mettam, whilst Jordan Marr started for Phantoms.

The puck dropped for the start of the game and straight off, both teams appeared right up for this one, with Weller-Evans and Marr being tested early doors. After some sustained pressure, it would be Phantoms that drew first blood. At 8.12, with a play involving Bowering and Susters, the puck found its way across to Stepanek and he let rip with a laser, that flew past Dan into the net. A few moments later and Jay King would get a Cross Check penalty at 12 mins dead. Although, we weren't shorthanded for long, as Conor Pollard was given a High Stick penalty at 12.32. Both teams killed their respective penalties and returned to full strength.

The Bison were playing well and at 15.20, they were rewarded for their efforts. The impressive Sam Talbot set up Alex Sampford, whose swivel and shot, found its way between Marr's pads to tie the score. That was all the action in the first and at the break, both teams had one apiece.

The 2nd Period started pretty much like the first, with both teams having early chances on net and both netties keeping the shots out. At 24.00, a slight miscalculation, caused Alex Sampford to fire the puck over the glass whilst trying to clear the zone and he was awarded a Delay of Game penalty. Thankfully, Bison killed the penalty successfully. Then the Bison took the lead. Sampford had a shot which Marr spilled, Talbot followed up with a backhand, which appeared to beat Marr, but George Norcliffe was on hand to stuff the puck over the line after a goalmouth scramble. Goal timed at 26.30.

The small amount of travelling Bison fans made themselves heard, but unfortunately it wouldn't be long before Phantoms tied the score. At 27.20, Billing and Padelek combining to set up James Ferrara with a simple tap in at the back post.
Soon after the restart, Liam Morris picked up a Holding call, but Phantoms couldn't find a way past Weller-Evans, who was playing solidly between the pipes. The action was end to end and the period was flying by. Then at 38.06, Bison would take the lead. Jay King fed Malinsky and he chipped the puck out of the defensive zone, which caught out the Phantoms defence, but not youngster Bayley Harewood, who found himself all alone up ice. In fact, the Bison skated in on a 2 and 0, but Harewood didn't need any help, as he coolly slotted the puck past Marr and the Bison bench and fans erupted accordingly. Straight from the face-off Bison went at Phantoms again and almost doubled their advantage, but not for a great pad save by Marr from Sampford's shot. Phantoms were rattled but managed to survive the Bison onslaught. Just before the period end, Phantoms Joe Gretton was given an Interference call (39.24). Bison couldn't get much set-up and with 40mins gone, the Bison held a 3-2 lead.

The 3rd period started with Bison still on the PP. The Phantoms killed it off and then immediately, the Bison were given a Bench minor penalty for Too Many Men, when one of our guys strayed onto the ice after a bad line change. Phantoms powerplay came out and set about trying the score. Then Stepanek and King clashed, and with King appearing to come off a little worse, his compatriot, Liam Morris set about squaring up to Stepanek. Both players throwing a couple of punches, resulting in Roughing calls for both, at 42.35. Both teams returned to full strength.

Then at 45.50, Phantoms tied the score a little controversially. Glenn Billing's pass found James Ferrara in front of net and his shot appeared to hit Dan's mask before dropping down and Ferrara poking home the rebound. The Bison's protests went unheard, as ref Mr Good, claimed it hadn't hit the mask and it was a good goal. It was a very entertaining game, albeit slightly nervous, for the travelling Bison fans.

At 47.30, Ales Padelek was given a Hooking call, but Bison couldn't make the extra man count. The minutes were passing by and with the scoreline at 3-3, it was getting to the last few minutes and I for one, was feeling the nerves. Then, Bison were given a chance at 54.46, when Callum Buglass was assessed a Holding call. A slightly soft call, but hey, we'll take it.

The Bison powerplay came out again and started passing the puck around nicely. Just over a minute into the penalty, Malinsky passed to Adam Harding behind the net, he waited a couple of seconds and then sent out a pass in front of net, which found an on-rushing Adam Jones, who coolly slotted his wrister between Marr's five hole, to give the Bison the lead. Goal timed at 55.58.

It was going to be a very excruciating last 4 minutes of the game, for the Bison fans. This was made worse when Paul Petts was given a Holding call at 57.19. Phantoms came out and had a couple of chances. Then with 1.59 remaining, they called their Time Out. With the face off was in the Bison zone, they gambled and pulled Marr for the extra attacker.

From the restart Phantoms moved the puck around trying to find a clear shooting lane, but our guys stood firm. Then the puck squirmed loose to Coach Tait, he had enough time to set up his shot and fire the puck the length of the ice into the unguarded net, sending the Bison bench and the fans into ecstasy........

The final few seconds ran down and the buzzer sounded. Oh my god, what a game that was. I honestly don't think many would've predicted it, but it was an amazing result to come away with and it registered our first 4-point weekend of the season. Kudos, to each and every guy on the bench. They came, they saw, they conquered !!

Sam Talbot was named as Bison MoM and boy he deserved it. What a cracking talent he is. Dan Weller-Evans was solid between the pipes again.

We look forward to next weekend now, with Telford visiting on Saturday and then the short journey to Bracknell on Sunday............... and we all remember what happened there, a couple of weeks ago!!