As exclusively revealed this morning in the Basingstoke Gazette, the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison are pleased to announce the return of British forward Sam Talbot for the 2020/21 season.

Having originally signed for the Herd last season on a 2-way contract while playing for the Slough Jets in NIHL 1, Talbot joined the Bison full time in January this year. In...
30th of December 2019

GAME REPORT: Bison V's Raiders Saturday 28th December 2019

Final score: Basingstoke Bison 6-5 Raiders IHC (after Overtime)

Saturday 28th December 2019

Bison MOM: Sam Talbot – Raiders MOM: Ethan James

Bison stats: Harding 0+3, Klejna 1+2, Norris 1+2, Bordowski 0+2, Sampford 2+0, Dewey 0+1, Jones 1+0, Tait 0+1, Talbot 1+0

Netminder: Alex Mettam 30/5 (83.33%)

Raiders stats: Ayliffe 0+3, Sladkovsky 2+1, Barry 0+2, Sylvester 2+0, Baldock 1+0, Fuller 0+1, Novak 0+1, Piatak 0+1, Scott 0+1

Netminder: Ethan James 45/6 (86.67%)

PIM: Bison 8 – 47 Raiders. SOG: Bison 45 – Raiders 30

Refs: Matthews and Thompson – Lino’s: Macphee and O’Neill

Looking to build on a thrilling 3-2 penalty shoot out win against the Swindon Wildcats on Thursday night, the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison took on the Raiders of Romford in the Herd’s final home game of the decade. The Herd were aiming to win their second home game in three days, against a Raiders side that won four points last weekend.

An early penalty on Tom Ralph for Elbowing at 2:33 allowed the Raiders a chance to flex their powerplay muscles and at 3:21 Oliver Baldock (Barry, Sladkovsky) put the visitors ahead with a shot that Mettam never saw courtesy of a screen by Aaron Connolly. The home side would have to wait until 10:16 for their first powerplay of the night, as import forward Erik Piatak was called for Tripping. Whilst the powerplay was unsuccessful, just four seconds later the Herd scored their first of night as Sam Talbot (Harding) tipped in a shot from the point at 12:20, making the score 1-1. The home side then set about finding the go ahead goal but instead, only managed to find an inspired Ethan James in the Raiders’ net, leaving the scores level at the first break.

Once again the Raiders looked sharper as the beginning of a period and at 22:11 Lukas Sladkovsky (Novak, Barry) put the visitors 1-2 ahead after a speedy break from their own zone. The Herd were handed a powerplay opportunity at 26:53 when Dan Fuller was penalised for Delay of the Game and the Bison took full advantage at 28:27 as Alex Sampford (Bordowski, Norris) took a lovely saucer pass in tight and finished past James to level up at 2-2. Shortly after, Blaho Novak was called for a 2+10 Checking from Behind penalty and the Bison went in search of a lead for the first time tonight as youngsters Bayley Harewood and Sean Norris both saw moves thwarted by Ethan James in net.

Referee Thompson then waved off a goal for the home side as the Raiders’ netminder managed to lean back and sit on the puck as it sat agonisingly close to the goal line, keeping the scoreline at 2-2 heading into the final period.

To the delight of the noisy away fans, the Raiders completed a hatrick of scoring early in each period of the game as Jake Sylvester (Ayliffe, Piatak) scored a powerplay goal at 43:09, with Bison import Richard Bordowski in the penalty box for Cross Checking. A nightmare few minutes was compounded at 45:16 when Jake Sylvester (Fuller, Ayliffe) scored his second in quick succession to put the away side 2-4 ahead, muscling his way through the Bison defence before finishing on the backhand.

Thankfully for the home fans, a few minutes later the Herd were handed a lifeline as Oliver Baldock was called for Hooking at 47:34 and defenceman Adam Jones (Klejna, Norris) fired in a wrist shot past an unsighted James in net, leaving the Herd 3-4 down at 47:52.

Unfortunately, the opposition extended their lead once more as import forward Lukas Sladkovsky (Ayliffe, Scott) scored the Raiders’ fifth goal at 48:57, leaving the home side with a mountain to climb. After killing off an Interference penalty on Liam Morris, the Herd then began their comeback as Michal Klejna (Dewey, Tait) deflected a long ranged shot in past Ethan James to reduce the deficit to a single goal at 53:34. With just over a minute remaining, Alex Mettam was pulled in favour of the extra skater as the home side desperately searched for a hero and with only 4 seconds left, they found one. A chaotic goalmouth scramble saw Alex Sampford (Klejna, Harding) find himself just enough room to lift the puck into the net at 59:56, to the delight of both his team mates and the fans in the crowd.

Consequently, for the fourth game in a row at Planet Ice Basingstoke, we were heading for overtime. The turning point during the extra frame came at 60:37, when Liam Morris was crushed against the boards by former Bison player Dan Scott, leaving blood on the ice and the young Scot requiring medical attention. After a discussion between the officials, Scott was assessed a 5+ game penalty for Checking from Behind which handed the home side a 4-on-3 man advantage for the remainder of the period.

Several chances went begging as the Bison looked to complete a mighty comeback before young sensation Sean Norris (Bordowski, Harding) sent the arena wild at 62:29 as a quick passing move down low saw Raiders’ netminder James pulled out of position, allowing Norris to slot the puck home and hand the Bison a thrilling 6-5 OT victory!
Win or lose, there is no doubt that fans have been given value for money recently.

Mr Bison Moose himself Nigel Simmonds will report back from the games in Peterborough on Sunday 29th December and Swindon on Wednesday 1st January, before the Herd return home on Saturday 4th January to face the Phantoms.

Happy new year everyone, see you all in 2020!