In light of the decision that our landlords Planet Ice have taken with regards to the 2020 / 21 season and league play not commencing until at the earliest 1st January 2021, as club we support and respect their decision whole heartedly and confer that in this ever changing landscape we must take every step possible to ensure that the safety of all is paramount be it...
6th of January 2020

GAME REPORT: Sheffield Steeldogs V's Bison Sunday 5th January 2020

Final Score: Sheffield Steeldogs 4 Trane Basingstoke Bison 2

Refs : Hamilton & Hands
Lino's : Carrington & Hardy

MoM Steeldogs : Brammer
MoM Bison : Harding

Steeldogs Stats : Luka 1+1, Brammer 1+0, Danecek 1+0, Smith 1+0, Spurr 0+2, Doxey 0+1, Elliott 0+1, Morgan 0+1, Thompson 0+1.

Nets : Zimozdra 51/2 (96.08%)

Bison Stats : Klejna 1+0, Talbot 1+0, Morris 0+1, Ralph 0+1, Sampford 0+1.

Nets : Mettam 15/3 (80.00%)
Weller-Evans 11/1 (90.91%)

PiMs : Steeldogs 14 Bison 26
SoG : Steeldogs 26 Bison 51

After a thoroughly deserved win over the Peterborough Phantoms the previous evening, the Trane Basingstoke Bison made the long trip up to South Yorkshire, to face the Steeldogs of Sheffield.

From the drop of the first puck, Steeldogs had a lot of the possession, moving the puck around the neutral zone and chasing in the puck, when it was fired around the boards. They would take an early lead, when local lad Jack Brammer, scored his 1st senior goal (2.26), when he tipped Ben Morgan's shot from the point. Charlie Thompson also assisting.

A few moments later, Adam Jones would pick up an Interference call (6.45). Within seconds, Steeldogs doubled their lead with a powerplay goal. Vladimir Luka & James Spurr combined to find Tim Smith all alone at the back post and he fired the puck top shelf (up where Grandma keeps the good stuff!) past a prone Alex Mettam (6.59).

A little later, Tim Smith would pick up a Holding penalty (15.54) but Steeldogs would kill off the penalty. Then, Adam Jones would pick up another penalty, when he got a Cross-Checking penalty (18.00), but Bison would see out the period, with Steeldogs leading 2-0.

Immediately as the 2nd period started, Bison returned to full strength, as Jones's penalty expired. Just a couple of minutes later, Sheffield would extend their lead. Import Jan Danecek (Elliott, Doxey) fired in a shot which managed to squirm through Mettam and into the net (22.10) That was Alex's last action, as he was replaced between the pipes by Dan Weller-Evans. Now trailing 3-0, Bison really needed a quick reply to get themselves back in the game. Step forward Sam Talbot........ He managed to react quickest, when his shot was blocked and he rifled the puck high over the shoulder of Zimozdra, to finally get the Bison on the board (22.47). Morris & Sampford with the assists.

A minute later, Sean Norris (who is fast becoming a fans favourite with the Bison faithful) awkwardly hit Steeldogs player Tom Relf against the boards. Unfortunately, for Sean & the Bison, he was assessed a 2 + 10 for Boarding (23.53). Bison would kill off the 2-minute minor and returned to full strength.

Just over the half way mark in the game, it all got a little chippie, when firstly Jack Brammer & Liam Morris both Cross Checked each other, then Brammer decided to drop the gloves and proceed to throw punches at Morris, who I don't recall threw one punch, but the officials decided that they would both receive 2 mins for Cross Checking and a further 2 + 2 each for Fighting (30.47). A minute later, James Spurr caught Michal Klejna with a High Stick. Tommy Ralph decided to face up to Spurr and quickly picked up a Roughing call. Then Elliott Dewey & Lewis Bell both exchanged words by the team benches & this resulted in them both receiving minor Delay of Game penalties (all timed at 31.48)

All the penalties expired and both teams were at full strength again. Both teams had chances to score, but at the end of the 2nd period, Steeldogs led 3-1.

Entering the 3rd period, the game was still really there for Bison's taking, but only if they could find a way past Zimozdra in the Steeldogs net. He's a big lad and does fill the goal well, so it wasn't going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but if they could get the next goal, it would certainly make it an exciting finish. However, every attack Bison made on Sheffield's net, was dealt with by the sturdy defence.

At 49.55, Steeldogs Nathan Ripley picked up a High Stick call. Could this be the chance the Bison needed to start the comeback....... alas not. Steeldogs defence successfully killed the penalty.

Time seemed to be Bison's side, as the minutes appeared to be going down slowly, but every foray up front, ended in disappointment, as the puck was either saved or did not find the open Bison player, that could've buried the puck.

We entered the last 5 mins and Bison still attacked but just lacked that lucky bounce or killer instinct that was required. Ultimately, we paid the price, when at 55.58 Steeldogs capitalised on a Bison turnover in our own zone. Spurr carried the puck from Behind the net and slipped the pass to an on-rushing Luka and he snapped a shot past Weller-Evans to seal the game & Bison's fate.

Bison did score a very late consolation goal through Michal Klejna (59.55), assisted by Ralph, but it was very much, too little, too late.

The last seconds ran down and as the final buzzer sounded, the Steeldogs & their fans, celebrated a well-earned home victory.

Adam Harding picked up his 2nd MoM award of the weekend & Brammer got the nod for Sheffield.

It was a disappointing result, but with both other teams around us (Swindon & Peterborough) both losing too, it's as you were, table standings wise.

We now look forward to next weekend, which will be another tough one, as we face Hull Pirates (Home) & Telford Tigers (Away).

Have a good week & stay safe out there!!